This information will help you figure out how to properly size your portrait for your specific space and give you directions for photographing your walls. Using innovative technology and your own images of your walls, we will be able to see exactly what your wall art will look like on your walls.
HOW TO DETERMINE SIZING
You can determine size by either evaluating on your own, or you can follow the directions in this guide on how to photograph your wall so that we can show you sizing options digitally at our studio during your in-person viewing and ordering appointment. You may also consider a family portrait over a mantle, a buffet, a bed, or a hall console. The same concept to determine size will apply.
- Measure your sofa to determine its length. Most 3 seater sofas are at least 80 inches wide.
- A horizontal (or square) focal piece of art portrait should be at least 50% to 75% as wide as the sofa it hangs above. For example, if your sofa is 80 inches wide (6.5 feet), choose a portrait that is at least 40 inches wide.
- Many people hang art too high. Be sure to center your portrait on the wall space above the sofa, with the bottom edge of the frame approximately 6 – 9 inches above the back.
- Most clients enjoy the look of our gallery wrapped canvases, and they are a great value because they do not require glass and framing. However, if you will be hanging a large framed print, please allow an extra 4 – 6 inches around the portrait for a custom frame.
- Also consider doing a grouping of smaller portraits and space them 2 – 3 inches apart. Just make sure the overall space you cover is at least 70% of the width of the wall area.
Below are instructions to photograph this wall. With this image of your home, we will be able to show you your session images in different configurations and in the correct size.
DETERMINING SIZE – WITH A PHOTOGRAPH
At your viewing and ordering appointment, we will use special software to show you exactly what your photos will look like on your wall. In order to show you, we will need a photo of your wall to use in our software. Here is how to get us the best photo possible.
Directions to photograph your wall
- Tape a “letter” sized (8.5 x 11) piece of paper on the wall where you would like to display your portraits.
- Take a horizontal picture of that wall (with the paper on it) with your camera, smartphone or tablet from a comfortable viewing distance. This is typically from across the room unless it is a very large room. Take photo straight on, not on an angle. Be sure to include furniture, windows, doorways, floor, ceiling to provide a point of size reference for us.
- Once you’ve taken pictures of all the walls where you’d like artwork, please email them to email@example.com
“NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE DAY, COMING HOME TO OUR
BEAUTIFUL FAMILY PORTRAIT ALWAYS PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE AND
A FEELING OF LOVE IN MY HEART. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING
US CHOOSE THE PERFECT SIZE FOR OUR WALL. THIS PORTRAIT IS
TRULY ONE OF OUR MOST PRIZED POSSESSIONS!”
– happy client testimonial